Earlier I wrote that I’ve never seen an umbrella stroller with an infant car seat stroller adapter. And I still haven’t seen one. But in the back of my mind, it was nagging me… with the diversity of strollers available, there must be the best umbrella strollers for car seat compatibility.
After doing some research, I found out there are.
Living in New York City where apartments run small you would think I would have seen at least one stroller like this. I couldn’t wait to get an umbrella stroller when my child was born. But after doing exhaustive research I couldn’t find a single one that accepted an infant car seat.
Getting an umbrella stroller from birth is a problem, as most have a hammock-style fabric, do not recline fully to 180 degrees and therefore have little head support. Not good for a newborn. Almost every umbrella stroller’s starting age is about 6 months.
So what did most people do? What did I do?
I had an infant car seat with a Snap N’ Go Stroller. Then others get a travel system stroller (heavier, bulkier, pricier) that supports an infant car seat, sometimes bassinet and a toddler seat. Then the back-up was an umbrella stroller, like the Maclaren, because it was light and folded compactly. Great for travel and trips to the grocery store.
So before your child is two that counts as 2-3 strollers. Then what if you have a second baby. Well that’s a whole other story.
At the time I was pregnant, it definitely seemed like no way would I put an infant plus an infant car seat on a tiny umbrella stroller. It just wouldn’t be able to stand the weight. Yet, umbrella strollers that are compatible with infant car seats began to make their appearance in 2010.
That was way passed my due date. As some things are slow to catch on, I bet in the coming years I will be seeing umbrella strollers with an infant car seat attachment. If so, this just might change the landscape of stroller travel systems.
Now onto the strollers.
What is an Umbrella Stroller?
There are lightweight strollers that support an infant car seat, like a Graco LiteRider Stroller. These strollers while lightweight are bulkier than an umbrella stroller when folded or unfolded.
So we are looking for a true umbrella stroller that has curved umbrella-type handles (that’s where it gets its name), folds compactly and is lightweight. While you can still find a $10 umbrella stroller. A good one that will last you for years and multiple children is generally more expensive.
The Best Umbrella Strollers with Car Seat Compatibility
Here’s a round up of the umbrellas strollers that are compatible with an infant car seat with some comparison stats. Arranged in ascending order by weight.
• 14 lbs
• weight capacity of 50 lbs.
• unfolded 32L x 19W x 39.5H
• folded 41.5L x 10.5W x 9H
• multi-adjusting backrest and footrest
• sun canopy with SPF 45 UV lining
• included universal car seat adapter, cup holder, and shoulder strap
• with its universal car seat adapter accepts Graco Snugride, Graco Snugride 32, Graco Snugride 35, Peg Perego Primo Viaggio SIP 30/30, Chicco Keyfit 30, Combi Shuttle, Baby Trend Flex Loc, Britax Chaperone
• 14 lbs.
• weight capacity of 55 lbs
• unfolded 27.5L x 19.5W x 41H
• folded 41.5L x 12W x 9H
• multiple position recline
• large canopy with sun visor and peek-a-boo window
• shoulder carry strap
• included cup holder, rain cover, Britax infant car seat adapters, universal adapter strap
• accepts Britax Chaperone and Britax B-Safe with integrated infant car seat adapter and accepts Chicco Keyfit 30, Graco Snugride, Graco Snugride 32, Graco Snugride 35, and Peg Perego Primo Viaggio SIP 30/30 with included adapter strap
• 15.8 lbs.
• weight capacity 45 lbs.
• unfolded 40.17H x 20.33W x 34.17D
• folded 41.25H x 13.5W x 14.17D
• 3 reclining positions
• adjustable handles, large hood with sun visor and large basket
• hinged, removable front bar
• includes a detachable cup holder
• accepts Primo Viaggio SIP 30-30 infant car seat with two included straps
• 16.1 lbs
• weight capacity of 55 lbs.
• unfolded 32.68L x 19.79W x 42.13H
• folded 34.65L x 8.86W x 12.60H
• 4 recline positions
• Super Canopy with UV 50+ protection
• shoulder carry strap and built-in carry handle
• accepts Aton infant car seat using the Aton Adaptor and with Cybex Universal Infant Car Seat Adaptor accepts most manufacturer’s infant car seats like Graco SnugRide and Chicco KeyFit
Chicco Liteway Plus
• 19 lbs.
• weight capacity of 50 lbs
• unfolded 35H x 19W x 40L
• folded 42.91H x 11.02W x 11.81L
• 5 recline positions
• adjustable, removable canopy with zip-off rear panel and peek-a-boo window
• carry handle
• includes parent cup holder
• accepts Chicco KeyFit 30 infant car seat
The Cybex Onyx is an exception. Cybex boasts an amazing Super Canopy for an umbrella stroller that provides great coverage plus UV protection.
To compensate for shade and protection, get a Stroller RayShade.
Do you have one of these strollers and what do you think of it? What other umbrella strollers compatible with car seat should readers know about?